Director of Mechanical Engineering
This is an opportunity to help lead a small and rapidly growing company and drive substantial impact at Farmshelf. We are looking for someone with 6+ years of relevant experience with the ability to adapt within a fast-paced, ever changing environment. The ability to embrace uncertainty and continued learning is vital to this role.
This person will lead the Systems Engineering team responsible for the mechanical design of Farmshelf and manufacturing of the system. You will be responsible for the full product lifecycle from ideation through installation of mechanical components and systems within the farmshelf product
- You’ll create innovative automation solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside software engineers, agricultural scientists, and initial beta customers.
- You’ll shape the foundation of our systems engineering team - researching and making key decisions about what we build, how we build it, and which tools are best for solving our problems.
- You’ll design scalable, manufacturable components and mechanical systems to support the demands of our food growing systems.
- You’ll be responsible for assessing failure modes across all components and mechanical systems, leveraging tools such as CFD analysis, FEA, and the FMEA framework.
- You’ll support the designing and building of prototype systems to enable our software engineering and agricultural science teams to continue to experiment and collect data to drive strategic decisions.
- You’ll be responsible for driving designs to a DFM ready state and lead manufacturing efforts.
- You’ll develop and take ownership of the BOMs for internal designs and outsourced designs.
- You’ll establish and cultivate relationships with vendors and suppliers and effectively manage expectations internally and externally.
- BS/MS in Mechanical Engineering or other related field.
- 6+ years of experience
- Fluent in 3D CAD software – Solidworks or Onshape ideally
- Proactively mitigate issues through robust and iterative testing - ensuring things break along the way and learning from that.
- You are able to understand the fine details and also how they fit into a larger plan.
- You have the ability to translate business and plant related questions into mechanical system design problems, solve those problems, and interpret the output back into clear outcomes.
- You’re experienced with managing projects that require coordinating your own work with external partners and/or multi-functional teams.
- You are excited about consumer hardware products and growing your own food in a way that can improve the world.
- You are confident taking ownership of projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.